This site is best experienced in portrait mode. Please rotate your device.
Chu Tat Shing was born in Hubei, Wuhan in 1942. He is a celebrated sculptor and an active supporter of the development of the 3-dimensional art in Hong Kong. Under the guidance of Zhang Zu Wu at the Department of Sculpture of the Hubei Institute of Fine Arts, Chu developed his skills and eventually stayed on at the department to become an instructor.
In 1978, at the end of the Cultural Revolution, he was admitted on to a postgraduate programme at the Department of Sculpture of the China Central Academy of Fine Arts. Upon graduation, he moved and eventually settled in Hong Kong, actively engaging with the local art community as a sculptor and teacher. A long-time member of the Hong Kong Sculpture Society, he also served on the Board of Directors of the Hong Kong Artists Association. In 2007, he was awarded a medal of honour by the Hong Kong SAR Government for his contributions to arts and culture.
This plaque at Chater House was created by Chu Tat Shing in memory of Sir Catchick Paul Chater, one of the founders of Hongkong Land. Sir Chater was a very successful businessman who helped shape Hong Kong in its early days. He was instrumental in the reclamation of Victoria Harbour and was pivotal in the colonial government’s success in many land development projects. The plaque pays tribute to Sir Chater’s contributions in shaping Central.