Historic house of worship provides peace in urban environment

St John’s Cathedral stands among the high-rise buildings in the heart of the city’s financial district. It is the oldest surviving Western ecclesiastical building in Hong Kong, with its foundation stone laid by Sir John Francis Davis, the second British governor. The Anglican cathedral was completed in 1849 and extended in 1873. Its cross-shaped structure was modelled on the 13th-century Early English and Decorated Gothic styles. The building has been through many ups and downs through the city’s history, particularly the damage suffered when it was turned into a club house during the Japanese occupation.

TOP