Red-brick beauty radiates flavour of old Hong Kong

This beautiful red-brick building on Government Hill, known as the Former French Mission Building, was the result of extensive refurbishment carried out on a late 19th-century structure by the Mission Etrangères de Paris; it opened in 1917 as the French Mission, and has retained this moniker ever since, even though it was sold to the government in 1953 and has been used for a variety of purposes, most latterly the Court of Final Appeal – though this is due to relocate in late 2015. For a flavour of old Hong Kong, the best approach to this Declared Monument is up the steep, tree-lined Battery Path.

TOP